Thursday, March 12, 2009

Father Leo Green!

I just wanted to note that I found it interesting that he talks about Father Leo Green elementary at the end of the novel. First of all it IS a real school, in fact I went to the mandarin immersion public school correspondent Kildare down the street. Either way, I liked how he describes the school with such a disappointing light, without any excitement for how the school might turn out when it finished. That, to me, is hilarious because the school was a dump when I would walk past it (during my later junior high days at londonderry walking to Kildare to tutor). So yeah, just letting you all know Neil's gut instincts were right, the school kind of sucked.

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of my high school in Barrhead AB, a vile, depressing construct of Dickensian proportions. I remember the physics classroom had a hole in the wall through which you could see outside...no joke. And, somehow, it made contemplating the wonder of the cosmos lose some of its lustre. At least they covered it with an old bulletin board...that was considerate. And stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the name change thing I just don't get. Why change O'Leary to O'Connor and then leave Father Leo Green as is? Strange.

    ReplyDelete