Thursday, March 5, 2009

Back to the Ghost Stories

Afore we all got into our delicious debate about racism, we looked at that small passage about the ghost stories and it did make me think about how ghost stories really develop a sense of place. Much like previous posts about owning a little part of the city or pretty much about sense of place in general, ghost stories seem to really bring this idea to the forefront albeit in a different way. While all the former residents really wanted to just get the heck outta the place, it (for me anyways) almost endears the place and makes one want to go, just to know. I don't know if that was articulated well enough for understanding... so in short
Ghost Stories = good sense of place
-Cheers

2 comments:

  1. Ghost stories have their place, under two conditions:
    •Do not denigrate a person or family
    •Do not do it for profit.

    The example we discussed in class was fun and did not really name names. I thought it to be quaint.

    In contrast, we can look at the ever-popular Ghost Stories of Alberta series, which is in every God-damned bookshop in town. Falsified, exaggerated rumours on people if historical note (who have descendants that no doubt look upon these stories with weepy eyes) fill the pages, and all for profit. I cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you and Dickie! My essay is about the Firkins house in Fort Edmonton Park. I love that house, I was drawn to it because there were apparently ghosts in it. I was drawn more to the story my friend told me that was basically "there was a kid that died there apparently a while ago and he plays around with people." I love that ghost story... but then I read the Ghost Stories of Alberta and was annoyed that is was blown out of proportion for profit. All in all though Adam, I agree ghost stories= good sense of place... as long as it isn't exaggerated for profit.:P

    ReplyDelete